Jutogh Cantt

Jagatgarh  fortress  So call Jutogh Cantt"

on the eve of Dushera . The sense of belongingness is hitting me big time on the evening of this lazy Sunday . Sitting on my couch i start to recall my hometown and my small town Jutogh Cantt. 

So the bug of curosity and digging deep into history bit me and i found my self wondering in the past of beautifull Himachal Pradesh . 

I tried to Dig about jutogh Cantt . I came to know that Gurkhas ruled here till 1808 .  It was named Jagarah fotress it was one of their  strong holds till 1808 invaders concqured it . A small British force under Major General 'Sir David Ochterlony' was despatched to liberate the hill men from Gurkhas. Majority of hill chiefs responded to the call and joined the British forces. The rivals  were engaged in the toughest battle at 3750 ft high Ramgarh fort at Nalagarh. A decisive battle took place near the fort at Malaon in which superior guns of the British overpowered the enemy. The battle of Malaon on 15th May 1815 ended the dream of the Gurkhas, to rule over this part of the land for any longer. After few days, an official declaration was made according to which all Chieftains who had joined British in expelling the Gurkhas were restored with their land under the British protection. The maharaja of Patiala who has also rendered invaluable services to the British was rewarded with land in the neighbourhood of the area now comprising Shimla. After the defeat of Gurkhas they were forced to sign the 'Treaty of Sanjauli' . The company retained the strategic forts of Sabathu, Kotgarh, Ramgarh and Sandoch.  



one more small gift to all the readers out there . If you have that thirst of reading good content. I came across this great old book about shimla it has some really interesting facts . I hope you will like it . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rebel in the hill : Unsung Hero of past from Jutogh

Jutogh Railway Station

Jutogh History Revisited